The Italian program at St Helena's involves students from Pre Primary to Year 6. The key components are communicating in a language other than English and intercultural knowledge and language awareness.
- Communication - for a range of purposes and in a range of contexts
- Sociocultural understanding - an understanding of the culture linked with the language
- Language awareness - an understanding of the way language works, its structure, role and effects
- Learning how to learn - students progressively learn to manage their learning
- General knowledge - students acquire knowledge of a range of subjects and concepts